The primary purpose of the American Red Cross lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize, and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide professional-level care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries, and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
Candidates must attend ALL sessions and bring suits to each lesson. Prior to each session participants are required to complete the online assignments listed in the itinerary. (After you are registered you will receive an email with online directions & the itinerary) You must be at least 15 years of age. Please bring proof of your age to the first class. This course is offered in a blended learning format which requires advance registration with the American Red Cross. Participants will need to complete ALL online assignments BEFORE the FIRST class time.
You must be at least 15 years of age. Please bring proof of your age to the first class.
You must complete the lifeguarding pre-course swim (see description below).
Upon the successful completion of the American Red Cross Lifeguard Training course, you will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, First Aid & CPR/AED for Lifeguards, which is valid for 2 years.
The Pre-Course Swim for Lifeguarding:
- Swim 500 yards continuously, using the following strokes:
- Front crawl using rhythmic breathing (face in the water & breathe to the side)
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Lifeguard and/or CPR Pro AED Re-Certifications
Prior to the class you MUST go online and complete approx. 7.5 hours of work and videos. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 608-647-8522 and ask for Tracy if you have any questions or if you don’t have access to the internet. Students may elect to pick up study guides prior to the class in order to prepare for testing. There is an extra fee for the study guide. You may request a PDF file of the book for FREE, via an email to email@example.com. Lifeguard Training re-certification participants will also be challenged on First Aid, CPR/AED Pro, and water-rescue skills. They will take all the written tests. Upon the successful completion of the American Red Cross Lifeguard Training re-certification, you will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, First Aid & CPR/AED certificate, which is valid for 2 years. (Participants must also complete the Lifeguarding pre-course swim as stated above under the Lifeguard Training section.) Participants must pre-register at least five days prior to the re-certification course date(s), due to the hours of online content. Participants for full lifeguard challenge course must attend the entire session and must bring a swim suit. Participants must send a current valid Red Cross issued Lifeguard Certificate along with the registration form.
Re-Certification Times – Pick one date below
Times: 8:00am-6:00pm (Lunch Break will only be 30 minutes, please bring a sack lunch)
- May 30th
- June 4th
- June 10th
Water Safety Instructor Participants
Participants MUST attend ALL sessions, bring a swim suit to each lesson, and complete the online assignments listed in the itinerary. (After you are registered, you will receive an email with online directions & the itinerary).
You must be at least 16 years of age. Please bring proof of your age to the first class.
- Swim the following strokes:
- Front crawl – 25 yards (one length of the pool)
- Back crawl – 25 yards (one length of the pool)
- Breaststroke – 25 yards (one length of the pool)
- Elementary backstroke – 25 yards (one length of the pool)
- Sidestroke – 25 yards (one length of the pool)
- Butterfly – 15 yards
- Maintain position on back one minute in deep water (floating or sculling)
- Tread water for one minute
Upon the successful completion of the American Red Cross WSI course, you will receive an American Red Cross WSI certificate, which is valid for 2 years, and will renew by teaching American Red Cross swimming lessons.
2021 Symons Recreation Complex American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Class: TBA
Please complete the registration form and check the session(s) you would like to attend.
*Lunch Breaks will only be 30 minutes so bring your own sack lunch
Cost: $175.00 for SRC Members; $225.00 for Non-Members
Community CPR / AED / First Aid
All components are FULL LENGTH COURSE(S) for the Community Lay Person. You may enroll in either CPR/AED and/or First Aid. There are separate fees for both portions.
- CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) and AED (Automated External Defibrillator) for an Adult
- First Aid for an Adult
Are you interested in taking a class? Please fill out the form below and return it to Symons Recreation Complex along with your payment.
Lifeguard Blended Learning
Cost: $180 members / $230 non-members
(Need access to high-speed Internet)
- May 5th & 12th 2:00pm-3:00pm Zoom Class (Have school? Join zoom from 7-8pm, just mark it on your registration form that you need the later time) – Class via the computer
- May 19th , 26th & June 2nd 1:30pm-5:30pm Class @ Symons Recreation Complex
- June 4th 1:30pm-6:30pm Class @ Deep water pool
- May 5th & May 12th 2:00pm-3:00pm Zoom Class (Have school? Join zoom from 7-8pm, just mark it on your registration form that you need the later time) – Class via the computer
- May 16th & May 23rd 8:00am-3:30pm Class @Symons Recreation Complex**
- May 30th 10:00am-6:00pm Class @ Deep water pool. **
- May 28th 4:00pm-9:00pm Class @ Symons Recreation Complex
- May 30th 8:00am-12:30pm Class @ Symons Recreation Complex
- May 31st 9:00am-6:30pm Class @ Symons Recreation Complex**
- June 4th 12:30pm-6:30pm Class @Deep water pool.
** Please bring a sack lunch as there will be a 30 minute break for lunch.
Blended Water Safety Instructor
Cost: $175 members / $225 non-members
(Need access to high-speed Internet)