Connecting Communities – Collaboration/Addition
Symons Recreation Complex and the UW Platteville-Richland Gymnasium
A proposed $2,000,000 building collaboration will connect Symons Recreation Complex (SRC) with the UW Platteville/Richland (UWP/R) gymnasium to address the growing needs of the community. The new addition will connect and expand the reach of SRC by fostering cooperation of recreation resources.
A 5,300 square foot “connecting building” will make SRC and the UWP/R gym accessible to all patrons, but will especially benefit our disabled visitors, older adults and families with young children.
Overall, the construction of the new space will allow the Symons Recreation Complex to continue its mission to educate, encourage, and support the changing recreational and fitness needs of the individual, family, and community, while promoting the benefits of recreation, wellness, and socialization in Southwest Wisconsin. The collaboration will benefit the UWP/Richland students by increasing access to the gymnasium and to new recreational opportunities.
The new 5,300 square foot “connecting addition” will create:
- A new SRC lobby/reception area
- Multi-use exercise/class rooms
- child play/exercise area
- Office areas
- An ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) entrance to the UWP/R Gymnasium
- Updates to the existing SRC will include:
- The creation of an ADA family changing locker room in the existing SRC lobby
- Updates to the pool/hot tub filtration, HVAC and mechanical systems.
- Energy efficient water and lighting upgrades.
- With increased number of visitors to the facility from outside of City of Richland Center and County of Richland boundaries, SRC will continue to be an economic driver for the community.
- The new addition along with the collaborated access to the UWP/R gymnasium, will provide space for SRC to offer new activities such as after-school programming, basketball, volleyball and pickle ball leagues, and an area for indoor walking/running.
- Collaboration will occur between UWP/R and SRC for shared use of the Gymnasium.
- SRC will be responsible for the building/ staffing costs to maintain the new ‘connecting addition’.
- Maintenance and the upkeep of the UWP/R Gymnasium will continue with the County of Richland and UWP/R.
Updates to the UWP/R gym will include:
- Exterior tuck pointing
- Updating heating/cooling systems
- Updating locker room space
- Installation of security cameras
For more information
For more information on History & Statistics please download Proposed Collaboration & Addition. For more information, contact information is listed below.
The proposed renovations will create a partnership between SRC and UWP/R that will benefit UWP/R, Symons Recreation Complex users and the local Southwest Wisconsin community.