…access to high speed Internet required… Please complete the form below…
New Lifeguard Training Participants – Blended Learning
The primary purpose of the American Red Cross lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide professional-level care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. Successful completion results in a 2 year certification in lifeguarding that includes first aid, professional level CPR and AED. Digital certificate available upon successful completion of course.
Candidates must attend ALL sessions and bring suits to each lesson. Prior to each session participants are required to complete the online assignments listed in the itinerary. (After you are registered you will receive an email with online directions & the itinerary) You must be at least 15 years of age. Please bring proof of your age to the first class. This course is offered in a blended learning format which requires advance registration with the American Red Cross. Participants will need to complete ALL online assignments BEFORE the FIRST class time listed below. Participants must provide proof of online completion upon arrival to first class; neither course sponsors nor instructors are able to verify or view your online status. Participants are required to attend all of the course dates & times listed below for the session they register for.
The pre-course swim for Lifeguarding Course and Recertification:
- Swim 400 yards continuously, demonstrating breathing control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Goggles may To be used for this prerequisite skill but cannot be used for any other parts of the pre-course session or during the course.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Lifeguard Training Re-Certification – Blended Learning
Prior to the class you MUST go online and complete approximate 7.5 hours of work and videos. After receiving your registration and copy of current lifeguard certificate you will receive an email with online directions. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 608-647-8522 and ask for Tracy if you have any questions or if you don’t have access to the internet.
Students may elect to pick up book study guides prior to the class in order to prepare for testing, the cost to rent a lifeguard book is $10.00. A link to a PDF file of the book will be emailed to you once you have registered. Lifeguard Training re-certification participants will be challenged on First Aid, CPR/AED Pro, and water rescue skills plus take all the written exams. Upon the successful completion of the American Red Cross Lifeguard Training re-certification, you will receive an American Red Cross Lifeguard Training digital certificate which includes First Aid & CPR/AED, which is valid for 2 years. Participants for full lifeguard challenge course must attend the entire session and must bring a swimsuit. Participants must turn in a copy of a current valid Red Cross issued Lifeguard Certificate along with this form. Please note if you do not start the online course work at least 3 days prior to the day of the in class session you will NOT be able to attend the in class session & will not pass the lifeguarding recertification class.