Be Active: Benefits of Physical Activity
The National Institute of Health says the best medicine for you is physical activity! Being active has many benefits, including the following:
- Build & maintain strength – stay independent for longer
- Improve energy – do the things you enjoy
- Improve balance – lower your risk for falls
- Manage & prevent diseases –reduce symptoms and likelihood of getting some diseases including arthritis, heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis, and some cancers.
- Sleep better – get the zzz’s
- Reduce stress and feelings of depression – enjoy life
- Weight management – reach or maintain a healthy weight
- Blood pressure – lower your blood pressure
- Brain health – keep you on top of your game!
Find more tips or learn more about the Physical Activity for Lifelong Success (PALS) program at wihealthyaging.org/PALS