Be Active: Barriers to Physical Activity
Below are some common barriers to being active along with some solutions.
- Not enough time: plan by scheduling times to be active. Add activity to your daily routine.
- No social influence: Ask friends and family to support your physical activity goals. Invite a friend to exercise with you. Develop a friendship with others at a group exercise class.
- No energy: schedule activity for a time of day when you feel more energetic. Convince yourself to do it anyways and then feel the increased energy level as a result.
- No motivation: Plan ahead. Make activity a regular part of your day. Invite a friend to join you. Join a group exercise class.
- Afraid of injury: Do a proper warm-up and cooldown to prevent injury. Work with an instructor or trainer to assist you.
- Few or no resources: select activities that require minimal facilities or equipment like walking, jogging, or free virtual exercise classes, Identify opportunities in your community.
- Bad weather: Develop a set of indoor activities you can do regardless of weather (indoor cycling, walking at a mall or large box store, etc.)
- Travel: Build activity into your travel. Walk in a hotel or mall. Use a hotel exercise room.
Find more tips or learn more about the Physical Activity for Lifelong Success (PALS) program at wihealthyaging.org/PALS